Overview of the service
The Outpatient Physiotherapy Service provides high quality evidence-based musculoskeletal physiotherapy assessment and treatment in a clinic based setting. We emphasise health promotion, self-management and full participation in treatment, in order for the patient to achieve the best result.
The service advises patients on self management of long term conditions and degenerative diseases such as osteoarthritis and work with them and other support services to maximise the patient's independence. We also support the rehabilitation of patients following orthopaedic surgery or intervention e.g. joint replacement, spinal surgery or post fracture.
Who can access this service?
This service is available to patients who:
- Are over 16 years of age
- Are registered with a Sutton GP
- Have musculoskeletal pain or physical impairment likely to benefit from physical rehabilitation
- Are interested in exercise and self-management advice for longer term musculoskeletal conditions
This service is not suitable for patients who:
- Are housebound
- Have/are suspected to have a serious disease
- Have symptoms caused by a condition that is not musculoskeletal (e.g. neurological or vascular problems)
- Have failed to improve with previous physiotherapy for the same problem
Team members who may be involved in patient care:
- Extended scope practitioners
Is patient self-referral available?
No, patients will need to be referred to the Physiotherapy Service by their GP.
Is transport provided?
Transport is not provided by the Physiotherapy Services. If patients require transport, they should contact their GP.
Are home visits available?
No, patients will need to travel to their nearest clinic.
For all enquiries from both patients and healthcare professionals, please contact:
The Royal Marsden Community Services
Tel: 0208 661 3908
Fax: 0208 661 3910
Outpatient Physiotherapy leaflet